August 17, 2016

You Know You're a Dog Mom if.....

I feel like a lot of people I know are making the wonderful decision of getting a puppy. Like some, this took a lot of planning and decision making. I had to beg and beg for almost a year, until I got my Newman. I'm sure it didn't help that every puppy I saw I wanted to take home. But we finally found ours and made sure it was the right time in our lives. We just bought a house, so getting a dog next just made sense.

I grew up with dogs, but never had to raise one myself. To be honest the first couple of days were hell. He wouldn't stop whining and I felt like I was doing something wrong. After all, it's just a puppy, how hard could it be? Well,  I was certainly in for a treat. The second night after we brought him home I was in tears because I thought even a baby would have been easier at the moment. But I kept telling myself, we were all adjusting. Though a lot has gotten better, Newman still knows how to test my patience and make this momma bear not happy.

Newman has now become our little slice of heaven and sometimes I feel like we took on more than we can handle, but he makes life fun and unexpected. Here are just a few things I have learned from being a recent dog mom. 


1.You take millions of picture of them sleeping or just sitting still. No just me? I constantly catch myself having to clear more space in my phone by deleting random pictures of Newman... that all look the same. Please tell me I'm not the only one for this one. 

2.You have to train them to not sleep in your bed... and fail miserably. When we first became pup-parents we made a no dog in the bed rule. That quickly changed, because he was miserable sitting on the ground looking up at us with those big sad puppy dog eyes. But luckily it's turned into a weekend only thing. Newman is almost 50lbs and there just instead enough space for him anymore. 

3. You dress them up. Again, we made a rule before getting him that we weren't going to be those weird people that dress up there dog... Well, Dennis said nothing about not putting him in my clothes (jackets and hoodies) and of course I became hooked and now I feel like he needs his own closet. 
4.Snapchat just makes more sense now. Dog filter without a dog? Just doesn't feel right. Now, you and a friend plus your dog can all have puppy faces! It's just the best. 

5.You start to buy healthy food so you both can share..Sometimes I catching myself writing down fruit and veggies on the grocery list to give to the dog and not with the intention of eating them myself. I'm pretty sure he eats better than the humans in the house. (Insert head in palm)

6. You buy furniture for yourself, but they quickly claim it before you can... I went our and rewarded myself the other week and got a outdoor chase lounge. By the time I unfolded it, went inside to get a drink, came back out, Newman was already chilling like he's order it on Amazon and has been waiting for me to open the box... 

How do YOU know you're a dog Mom?

If you would like to see update pictures of Newman follow along on my Instagram page.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...