August 18, 2016

Giving a Maid of Honor Speech

Public speaking is my worst nightmare. Worst. So giving a speech for my best friend gave me mixed emotions. If I had to choose between swimming with sharks... with no cage (I'm feeling wild) or getting up in front of 20 people and giving a speech. Bring on the sharks! Even reading the title for my blog post brings back all the butterflies in my stomach, and I kinda want to vomit. oh and I had to speak in front of 252 people.... I'm just glad I didn't barf on the mic or piss my dress.

Blogging has taught me a lot in the last few months, and what I've learned the most is people want honestly. So, let's get to it.

I hated the fact that being a "MOH" came with the duty of giving a speech. I was so excited I got to plan the Bachelorette party, but in the back of my mind I knew a speech was involved. I'm gonna let you in on a secret... let's just not go around telling everyone. Deal? ok good. In college I failed out of speech class (twice) because the idea of talking in front of people made me hide in my apartment or run to the nearest coffee show until it was time for the next class.... oh and it was an online class. I couldn't bare to one my laptop and simply speak in front of 7 or less people.

Let's get something straight first, I was and still am honored that my best friend, Victoria even thought about me being in her wedding, let alone trusting me to stand by her side and toast to her and all her friends and family. I couldn't be more thrilled and forever grateful for her.

Giving a Maid of Honor Speech

The one thing I take from this crazy experience and really the only way I didn't die from a heart attack was because I was prepared. I made sure I wrote down my thoughts little by little for a few months and made sure I said what was truly on my heart.

There is no way I would have been able to go up and "just talk" about Vic. You should have seen the Best Man... it was godawful.

Anyways.

Giving a Maid of Honor Speech

I first wanted to start out with a little humor. Who doesn't like a little ice breaker? I'm not saying start out with a knock knock joke or anything. I just simply introduced myself with a little extra laugh thrown in. Can you tell Vic was the only one laughing. ^^^^
Awkward

Giving a Maid of Honor Speech

Yes I wrote my speech on my phone. And I typed it out and hid a copy under my plate. I made sure my phone was at 100% before hand, but just incase a back up is always good to have.

To be honest I felt more comfortable reading from my phone. It came across more natural than it would if I read it off an piece of paper. Just my opinion. After all I did write it on my phone, so it was genius in my mind. 

Giving a Maid of Honor Speech

At the end of my speech I felt flawless. Honestly. Knowing how big of an accomplishment this was for myself and I knew it meant something to the bride was all worth it. I wouldn't have traded it for world. In her own little way, she knew I had this fear and helped me tell myself that I can do anything. 


Isn't my bestie the most beautiful bride?! 

Giving a Maid of Honor Speech

Giving a Maid of Honor Speech


If you live in the central Indiana are you NEED to contact Evangeline Renee! Like yesterday. She was wonderful to be around, you could tell she loved her job and her pictures just speak for themselves. 
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...